Domestic V Commercial Electrician – Is There Really a Difference?

By Connor In Commercial Electrician, Domestic Electrician No comments

Electricity provides us with heating, lighting and power, yet it is also a hazard. Poor electrical wiring can cause fires, electric shocks and power surges, which damage equipment. For this reason, it is important to hire a qualified electrician to carry out electrical work.

Does it matter whether you select a domestic or commercial electrician?

The answer depends on the work you require.

Domestic Electrical Services

A qualified domestic electrician will be trained to ‘Part P’ level (you can request to see their Part P registration). This covers wiring regulations and competence in a range of inspection, testing, installation and rerouting, along with the replacement of electrical components that are required in residential settings.

A qualified domestic electrician would be suitably trained to undertake such jobs as:

  • Full kitchen wiring, including the installation of appliances
  • Bathroom wiring, including the installation of underfloor heating and electric radiators
  • Lighting design and installation (for interior and outdoor settings)
  • The installation of additional sockets, switches or charging points
  • Fuse box repairs or replacements

It is important that your electrician provides an Electrical Installation Certificate (EIC) for any work they carry out. Check that this will be included as part of the service before deciding on who to hire. Keep it in a safe place when it is provided, it will be required if you ever decide to move house.

Domestic Electrician for Landlords

For landlords, a domestic electrician can also provide the necessary electrical inspection and testing on your rental property. They will provide an Electrical Safety Certificate when they are assured that everything is safe and compliant.

Whilst a landlord with rental properties is running a business, this is the only type of commercial work that should be undertaken by a domestic electrician. Work in shops, offices, schools, factories and public buildings needs to be carried out by a commercial electrician.

Commercial Electrician

Commercial Electrician - Lighting At Lounge

The qualifications required to become a commercial electrician are more demanding because the individual will need to undertake a broader spectrum of electrical services.

A new office complex might need air conditioning, electrical heating, emergency lighting and voice & data cabling. Other requirements could include:

  • Fuse boards and 3 Phase Electrical Wiring Installations
  • Window and display lighting for retailers
  • Electrical inspection and testing (PAT testing)
  • Fitting and testing of fire alarms and security lighting

Commercial Electrician for Residential Work

The qualifications and experience needed to provide commercial electrical services mean that the electrician will be competent in undertaking any domestic tasks. Some individuals will choose to focus solely on commercial work, but others, including ADS Electrical Services, enjoy the variety of working in homes and businesses.

If you want to rewire your kitchen as part of a St Albans property renovation or are keen to make an impact with lighting in your Watford retail unit, ADS Electrical Services is your local, fully qualified, insured and licensed electrician. We are also on hand to provide annual electrical inspection and testing for Hertfordshire business.

Get in touch today to arrange a FREE, no-obligation quote on 01923 604292 or

You may also be interested in: DIY or Domestic Electrician?